Maybe it didn’t seem like a big deal at the time. Or maybe it did. Either way, it’s about to enter the spotlight.
It’s the “Deal of the Year,” an award given by the Association for Corporate Growth-Arizona to recognize a deal or transaction that took place in Arizona in the past year that had a beneficial impact on the companies involved. The award will recognize a deal/transaction in the Arizona marketplace involving established businesses with between $10 and $500 million of revenue that closed in calendar year 2012.
The Deal of the Year Award will be given out on May 7 at a dinner at the Arizona Biltmore. The ACG signature event begins with a networking session at 4:30 p.m. and culminates with the award presentation starting at 6:45 p.m.
The three finalists for Deal of the Year are:
• Alerion Capital Group’s purchase of Apex Microtechnology, a leading designer and manufacturer of high power, analog products with more than 2,000 customers. Apex’s amplifiers act as bridges between voltage sources and precise movements and positions or other accurate functions.
• Endeavour Capital purchased Arizona Nutritional Supplements, an industry leader in a the development of vitamins, minerals and supplements. The sale included an injection of capital that will allow ANS to expand its product offerings.
• The Wicks Group’s acquisition of McMurry, Inc., a leading Phoenix-based advertising and marketing firm. McMurry has a 25-year track record in custom publishing and content, and the sale resulted in the creation of a new company called McMurry/TMG with a strong presence in Arizona.
“Many of the transactions that fuel Arizona’s economy take place under the radar screen, but involve substantial investment in our state and its companies,” said Christine Nowaczyk, Board President for ACG-Arizona. “This award is a way to recognize and encourage investment and business activity involving Arizona companies, and celebrate some of the accomplishments and hard work of the many professionals who are involved.”
The award criteria are:
- Deal-making that either created or demonstrates a real potential for substantial return on investment
- Deal-making that evidences the unlocking of value and/or contribution to the strategic development of the business
- Deal-making that produces a wider business impact, such as the development of new markets, products, services and/or technologies and the creation or retention of quality employment opportunities in Arizona
- Deal-making that reflects a high level of professional expertise in the design of the transaction and tested creativity and deal-making skills in completing the transaction
- At least one company involved in the transaction must be headquartered or have a majority of its operations in Arizona
Tickets for the May 7 event are available for $135 for ACG members and $149 for ACG non-members, and may be purchased by visiting www.acg.org/arizona or calling 602-343-6280.