Thinking about getting a tummy tuck? Here’s what you need to know about tummy tucks as well as some tummy tucks tips.
What happens during tummy tuck surgery?
Step 1 – Anesthesia
The choices include intravenous sedation and general anesthesia. Your doctor will recommend the best choice for you.
Step 2 – The incision
A full tummy tuck procedure requires a horizontally-oriented incision in the area between the pubic hairline and navel. The shape and length of the incision will be determined by the degree of correction necessary. Through this incision, weakened abdominal muscles are repaired and sutured while excess fat, tissue and skin is removed. A second incision around the navel may be necessary to remove excess skin in the upper abdomen.
Step 3 – Closing the incisions
Sutures, skin adhesives, tapes or clips close the skin incisions.
Step 4 – See the results
Your abdominoplasty procedure will result in a flatter, firmer abdominal contour that is more proportionate with your body type and weight. The final results may be initially obscured by swelling and your inability to stand fully upright until internal healing is complete. But within a week or two, you should be standing tall with a new. slimmer profile.
Tummy Tucks Tips
If you’re considering a tummy tuck, make sure you’re prepared for both pre- and post-surgery. We asked Dr. Sumer Daiza, double board-certified plastic surgeon and owner of the Plastic Surgery Center of Scottsdale what tummy tuck clients should ask their doctors before a tummy tuck, as well as what they need to know post-tummy tuck.
Here’s what Dr. Daiza had to say:
Top 5 questions to ask before a tummy tuck:
1. Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
2. How many tummy tuck surgeries have you completed?
3. Do you have hospital privileges to perform tummy tucks?
4. Can I see your “before and after” photos?
5. When can I get back to my normal routine?
Top 5 things one must do post-tummy tuck:
1. Adhere to recovery instructions from your doctor.
2. Be prepared for post-operation pain.
3. Have the appropriate help arranged during your recovery period.
4. Be aware of the risks and complications of your tummy tuck.
5. Long term: Continue to maintain diet and exercise regiment.