Oregano’s Pizza Bistros, the ever-popular regional restaurant chain known for its authentic, casual Italian food, celebrates their 20-year anniversary on November 18, 2013. In appreciation, every Oregano’s restaurant will be giving away free pizza cookies with each lunch or dinner order. Mark S. Russell, founder and CEO said “We want to send a great big ‘thank you’ to everyone that has supported us all these years.”
Russell opened his first Oregano’s Pizza Bistro on November 18, 1993 in old Town Scottsdale — earning $777 on the opening day! Now twenty years later, his formula for success helped him grow his business from one restaurant to 13! He has also announced plans for the newest location in Cave Creek that will open in 2014. Today, Oregano’s serves about 6,000 people per day with loyal and growing dining patrons. In addition, the average staff member has worked at Oregano’s for 14 years.
Since 1993, Oregano’s menu balances straightforward Italian fare and classics with a creative regional twist. But, the signature dessert, that has always been the favorite of local and food critics alike, is the fresh-baked “pizza cookie” served warm and topped with vanilla ice cream. “It’s part of our culture,” said Russell. Complimentary pizza cookies will be offered on November 18 at all locations:
- Oreganos Old Town 3102 N. Scottsdale Rd. Scottsdale 480-970-1860
- Oregano’s Flagstaff 605 Riordan Rd. Flagstaff 928-773-8600
- Oregano’s Tempe 523 W. University Drive Tempe 480-858-0501
- Oregano’s Tucson 4900 E. Speedway Blvd. Tucson 520-327-8955
- Oregano’s Phoenix 1008 E. Camelback Rd. Phoenix 602-941-0707
- Oregano’s Scottsdale 7215 E. Shea Scottsdale 480-348-0500
- Oregano’s Mesa 1130 S. Dobson Rd. Mesa 480-962-0036
- Oregano’s Gilbert 328 N. Gilbert Rd. Gilbert 480-882-9336
- Oregano’s South Tempe 1475 W. Elliott Rd. Tempe 480-966-0401
- Oregano’s Chandler 1960 W. Germann Rd. Chandler 480-265-4580
- Oregano’s Paradise Valley 4602 E. Cactus Rd. Phoenix 602-482-0054
- Oregano’s Glendale 6738 W. Bell Rd. Glendale 623-223-1150
Opened November 18, 1993, the first restaurant was established as the “New Old Town Joint.” The building was a converted adobe farmhouse which was constructed in the early 1930’s and was later turned in to a doctor’s office. In 1964 the Fant Family sold the property to the Corral Family who started selling tamales and tortillas out of the side window, and eventually opened up Hacienda Corral restaurant. In 1976, they sold it to Benito Mellino, Angelo Livi and two other partners who opened Avanti restaurant which later became Sugar Daddy’s before Oreganos opened.