As one of the many restaurants at Scottsdale Fashion Square, Kona Grill has not only updated its decor to a newer and lighter feel with fantastic fish tanks, television screens playing major sporting events, and light silvery tables and flooring, but it has also updated its cocktail menu.
Kona decided to put a twist on tradition with a Red Sake Sangria. The beautiful, red
concoction is smooth, fruity and refreshing. There is no bite or aftertaste like a sangria mixed with brandy, but the sake makes it smooth and gives it its own flair. Since being added to the menu in July 2013, it has been the best-selling cocktail at the restaurant. This drink is perfect for patio weather and is sold by the glass or in a pitcher for four. This drink is a perfect mix with the spicy Picasso roll or the avocado eggrolls.
- 1 bottle (750ml) Bogle Merlot
- 8 oz Sake
- 4 oz simple syrup
- Juice of 3 fresh oranges
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- Raspberries, diced kiwi, half orange (sliced) to garnish
- Combine juices, simple syrup and sake into a cocktail shaker
- Shake and pour into a chilled glass pitcher (with ice if desired)
- Add Merlot, a handful of raspberries, half a diced kiwi, and orange slices to pitcher
- Stir, and top with sprite
- Sangria is best served in a red wine glass with ice, garnished with a half orange wheel
If you don’t want to make it at home, try the Red Sake Sangria at Kona Grill at Scottsdale Fashion Square during happy hour for $6.50. Other Kona Grill locations include Chandler Fashion Center, Santan Village, and City North.