When designing its new building, longtime downtown Scottsdale retail bicycle shop Bicycle Haus considered the distinctive character of the surrounding area. It created a strong street front identity by integrating bench seating into an outdoor plaza and orienting the building to face the mountains. Native desert trees shade the parking to the west, as well as the plaza. Plus low-water use landscape was incorporated throughout the site. Thanks to its innovative design, the Bicycle Haus captured a Scottsdale Environmental Design Award (SEDA). Kael Keltz owns Bicycle Haus, 7113 E. First Ave. Jack DeBartolo 3 designed the project and R.J. Gurley served as the contractor.
The biennial awards program recognizes the best in Scottsdale design and architecture – aesthetically expressive, sustainable work appropriate to the upper Sonoran Desert and Scottsdale’s unique environment. The program serves to educate the public by example and acknowledge quality green and sustainable development.
Other SEDA winners:
- North Scottsdale Park & Ride, 13655 N. Scottsdale Road, owner – City of Scottsdale, architect – DWL Architects and Planners Inc., contractor – Balfour Beatty Construction
- Simply Dentistry, 7552 E. Camelback Road: Owner – Dr. Bicky Tran DDS, landscape architect – Gbtwo Landscape Architecture, contractor – Exteriors by Chad Robert
This year the awards committee established a new category, Legacy Awards, to recognize projects that are more than 25 years old that meet the same criteria as the SEDA awards. Winners are:
- The Cattletrack Compound, 6105 N, Cattletrack Road: Owner – Janie Ellis, architect and contractor – the late George Ellis (Janie’s father)
- The Old Adobe Mission of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Roman Catholic Parish, 3817 N. Brown Ave.: Owner – Our Lady of Perpetual Help Roman Catholic Parish, architect of record – Grandvell Shumaker, contractor of record – local parish members
- The Scottsdale Medical Pavilion, 7221 E. Osborn Drive: Owner – Susan Bunst, Commercial Properties, architect – M + K Goodwin, Ltd., contractor – Redden Construction
- The First Church of Christ, Scientist, 6427 E. Indian School Road: Owner – First Church of Christ, Scientist, architect of record – T.S. Montgomery, contractor of record – Chris G. Evans, Inc.
The Scottsdale City Council will recognize the award winners at its regular meeting at 5 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 9, in the City Hall Kiva, 3939 N. Drinkwater Blvd.