VisionGate, Inc. a company that has developed a non-invasive test for the early detection of lung cancer, LuCED, announced that nationally renowned thoracic surgeon Dr. Harvey Pass has joined its Medical Advisory Board. Dr. Pass specializes in detecting, diagnosing and treating pleural mesothelioma and lung cancer. He is also a renowned cancer researcher widely known for identifying a mesothelioma biomarker called osteopontin, which helped develop a blood test to detect mesothelioma.
Dr. Pass serves as vice chairman of Research for the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at NYU Langone Medical Center, professor of Thoracic Oncology and chief of Thoracic Surgery.
“I am delighted to collaborate with VisionGate and to provide objective advice and opinion on ways to advance the diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer,” Dr. Pass said. “Recent technologic advances hold tremendous potential and I’m happy to be involved in the company’s journey.”
Dr. Pass dedicates a significant amount of time to patient advocacy groups and research that provides new alternatives for patients. He was one of the first thoracic surgeons to use intraoperative photodynamic therapy (PDT) and laser-activated injections. He was chairman of the Lung Cancer Alliance’s Medical Advisory Board for five years, chairman of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Education Committee on Lung Cancer for two years, former board director for the Alliance for Lung Cancer, and is current chairman of the Publications Committee for the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC) and board director for the Addario Lung Cancer Medical Institute. He also co-founded the Mesothelioma Applied Research Foundation, dedicated to funding research for a cure and providing support to mesothelioma patients.
Dr. Harvey Pass is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the Johns Hopkins University and Duke Medical School. He joins nine other members of VisionGate’s Medical Advisory Board including:
• Terence J. Colgan, MD – head of the Gynecological and Cytopathology sections of Mount Sinai Hospital and a professor in the Laboratory Medicine & Pathobiology and Obstetrics & Gynecology departments at the University of Toronto
• Robb W. Glenny, MD – division head of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and professor of Medicine, Physiology and Biophysics at the University of Washington
• Edward P. Ingenito, MD, PhD – assistant professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School
• Gene F. Pawlick, MD – former medical director at Kaiser Permanente Medical Group, Regional References Laboratories in Berkeley and Richmond, CA
• James Mulshine, MD – associate provost for Research and vice president director of Rush Hospital Translational Sciences Consortium
• Javier J. Zulueta, MD, FCCP – director of Pulmonary Services and associate professor of Medicine at the University of Navarra in Spain
• David Wilbur, MD, FACP – anatomic pathologist at Massachusetts General Hospital and professor of Pathology at Harvard Medical School
• Ralph Aye, MD – esophageal and thoracic surgeon at Swedish Medical Center in Seattle
• Harubumi Kato, MD, PhD – emeritus professor at Tokyo Medical College, honorary president of Niizashiki Central General Hospital and a professor at the International University of Health and Wealthfare
“We are honored that NYU’s Dr. Harvey Pass has joined VisionGate’s Medical Advisory Board,” Founder & CEO Alan Nelson, PhD said. “With his outstanding leadership and innovation in the management of lung disease, Dr. Pass is among the most recognized physicians in this arena. His perspective will complement the breadth of expertise that already exists on our board of world renowned physicians.”
For more background on VisionGate’s Medical Advisory Board or Board of Directors, visit www.visiongate3d.com.