When you envision Scottsdale during the summer, do you see a dry, barren desert, where weather-worn locals proclaim through parched lips, “At least it’s a dry heat”? Well, think again. Locals have a secret weapon that helps them survive May, June, July and August. We’ll let you in on the secret. Scottsdale’s 70 hotels and resorts offer ridiculously hot deals with rates as low as 60 percent off peak season. Take a cue from locals and rise early to hike in the breathtaking, lush Sonoran Desert, hit the golf course during the cool morning hours, soak up sun in your bathing suit while sipping a chilled margarita at a resort pool, and head to the spa for a heavily discounted, relaxing afternoon. After a few days in this warm weather destination, you’ll gleefully proclaim, “It is a dry heat!”
KEEP COOL AND CARRY ON
Beat the heat this summer at The Saguaro Scottsdale with the “Desert Splash” package. Lounge poolside under a shaded cabana while cooling off with a refreshing complimentary pitcher of Casamigos Tequila Margaritas. Every Saturday afternoon, the brightly-colored boutique hotel in the heart of downtown transforms into one big pool party, complete with DJs and a sunscreen station. Stay at the resort June 1 through Sept. 30 and you’ll also receive Saguaro sunglasses, Chap Stick and a drink cooler. Rates start at $109.
Jump into the “Summer Splash” package with rates starting at $129 at We-Ko-Pa Resort and Conference Center. Doubling as an adult playground, the resort boasts a 24-hour casino, seven restaurants and two of the top-rated golf courses in Arizona. We-Ko-Pa has everything you need for a grown-up’s summer getaway. Stay April 30 through June 30 to receive a $50 food and beverage credit valid at the Pool Bar & Grill, Ahnala Restaurant or in-room dining. The package also includes $5 and $10 Casino Slot Play vouchers, so you can test your luck at Fort McDowell Casino.
While you’re getting a healthy dose of vitamin D and slathering on the tanning oil, why not enjoy a tasty margarita? With the “Tequila and Tanlines” package at FireSky Resort & Spa, you’ll receive a complimentary pitcher of margaritas from Taggia Bar. The “Tequila and Tanlines” package is available May 19 through Sept. 6 with rates starting at $109 per night.
Stay hydrated with summer spirits and ales at these Scottsdale bars and breweries:
- Partake in a bar experience like no other at Second Story Liquor Bar. Your taste buds will thank you as you sip craft cocktails created by “Whiskey Man” John Christie. His bar menu guides you through a selection of fine spirits and the evolution of cocktail culture, from Sazeracs to mules.
- Vegas meets South Beach in the heart of downtown’s Entertainment District at Maya Day and Nightclub.This high-end club offers an outdoor beach club with a resort-style pool, VIP cabanas and a floating stage for deejays. At night, the club transforms, bringing in some of the hottest electronic dance music entertainers such as Cedric Gervais, Steve Aoki and Bingo Players.
- Explore downtown Scottsdale’s suds scene with a day of sipping and inadvertent spilling on Scottsdale’s ale trail. With stops at Sip Coffee & Beer House, Union Barrelhouse, Two Brothers Brewing and Bad Water Brewing, there’s no doubt you’ll cool off in no time.
A FAMILY AFFAIR
Your entire family will be eager to dive in to summer at Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North. Relax poolside with complimentary cabanas and enjoy nighttime entertainment with “Dive-In” movies every Saturday night throughout the summer. While you relax and recharge, the kids will relish in the Kids for All Seasons program open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with scheduled activities and complimentary access to board games, ping pong and more. Stop by Proof, an American canteen for “Sundaes on Sunday” and treat the family to an old-fashioned ice cream social with “buy one, get one” sundaes. Rates begin at $179 per night, valid June 1 through Aug. 31.
Zoom across a zip line, cool down on waterslides and watch fireworks light up the night sky this summer at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess. The “Sip, Savor and Splash” package equips guests with a $50 resort credit perfect for sampling any of 240 tequilas at La Hacienda or retreating to Well & Being Spa. Seeking a thrill? Poolside is the place to be with the spinning water adventure, SplashRider X-treme, and 200-foot waterslides. Guests are also able to upgrade to a Casita Signature Jr. Suite with the “Upgrade Your Summer” package. Rates for both packages start at $169 per night, May 22 through Sept. 6.
Need to escape the heat? Check out one of these off-site activities to cool off:
- Bring your flashlights to Desert Botanical Garden Thursdays and Saturdays May 23 through Sept. 5 to explore the Garden’s trails by night. Flashlight Tours run 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., letting you experience the Sonoran Desert’s flora and fauna beneath the stars.
- Have the need for speed? Octane Raceway has you covered with high speed electric karts, trackside bar and grill, billiards, rock wall and arcade. Test your racing skills at the only full-time indoor- and outdoor- track in the United States.
- Giddy up, cowboy! Take the kids to the recently unveiled Western Spirit: Scottsdale’s Museum of the Westto browse the museum’s vast collection of paintings, sculptures and artifacts that tell the history of the ever-evolving American West.
STAY AND PLAY
Boulders Resort & Spa is the perfect destination to de-stress this summer, with two award-winning golf courses and the 33,000-square-foot Spa at The Boulders. If you’re looking to combine the best of golf and spa, the resort is offering the “Two by Fore” package. The package includes private casita accommodations, one round of golf per paying adult with same day replay, a 20 percent spa discount at the spa, as well as complimentary access to spa facilities and unlimited fitness classes. Rates start at $189 per night May 26 through Sept. 10, with a two-night minimum stay.
Challenge yourself to two championship, 18-hole golf courses at JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa. Stay now through Dec. 31 and receive casita guest room accommodations and a $100 resort credit per night, which can be put toward golf at 36 holes of championship golf at Camelback Golf Club. The “$100 Resort Credit” package rate starts at $229 per night with promo code: P50.
Can’t get enough of golf? Keep hitting the links at these spots:
- Combine competition with entertainment at TopGolf Scottsdale at Riverwalk. Perfect for kids or adults with any range of skill level, this state-of-the-art facility challenges you and your friends to score points by aiming for lit-up targets on an outfield with microchipped golf balls. Celebrate your victory or ease the pain of your loss at TopGolf’s full service bar.
- Golf enthusiasts, listen up. Prepare to rejoice this summer at TPC Scottsdale as you get your greens fix with unlimited golf on the Champions Course. The offer grants you as many rounds in the same day as you’d like June 1 through Sept. 13 with rates starting at $39 per player.
- Retreat to Starfire Golf Clubfor a challenging 27 hole-course, designed by legendary golf pro Arnold Palmer. Tee times are available throughout the summer with rates starting at $25 per player Monday through Friday, and $35 on Saturday and Sunday.
LAP OF LUXURY
Step into a luxurious paradise at Royal Palms Resort & Spa with the “Luxe Lounging” package, offered May 26 through Sept. 30. Enjoy two refreshing welcome cocktails and a room upgrade upon arrival before indulging in a hearty meal at T. Cooks with a $25 dining credit. And restore yourself at the Alvadora Spa with a massage or body therapy compliments of two $40 spa credits. Rates start at $149 per night with promo code: PLL.
Channel your inner Monet, Van Gough and O’Keefe with The Hermosa Inn’s “Artist for a Day” summer package. Brush up on your painting skills and retreat to the Inn’s Blue Door Art Studio & Gallery May 1 through Sept. 7 to enjoy a 90-minute private painting lesson with on-property artists, two drink tickets to Last Drop at The Hermosa Inn and accommodations in a luxury casita. Rates start at $355 per night.
Continue the indulgence at one of these off-site restaurants:
- In the heart of the Scottsdale dining scene, Bink’s Scottsdale offers a relaxed atmosphere and a menu crafted by James Beard nominee Chef Kevin Binkley. His dishes feature locally produced organic meats, fruits and vegetables, paired up with an extensive wine list and a cocktail list from master mixologist Richie Moe.
- Treat your taste buds to Pig & Pickle. This chic gastropub features eclectic comfort food, hand-crafted cocktails, homemade aioli and freshly grown herbs. With dishes like braised duck and wood-oven-roasted bone marrow and old-school cocktails, this Scottsdale gem will leave you more than satisfied.
- Hand over the culinary reins to Chef Joshua Hebert when you dine at the upscale Posh “Improvisational Cuisine.” Provide Chef Hebert your dining preferences and dietary restrictions, and he’ll whip you up a customized menu on the spot.