HMSHost, the world leader in creating dining and shopping for travel venues, is transforming the Phoenix traveler’s experience at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport’s Terminal 4, bringing more than 20 new restaurants including local favorites like Sauce, Barrio Cafe, La Grande Orange and Cowboy Ciao, along with national brands like Starbucks.
The update is a result of last year’s decision by the city of Phoenix to award HMSHost a 10-year food and beverage agreement, following a 2011 competitive bid process.
The first restaurants, Sauce, Dilly’s Deli and Focaccia Fiorentine, opened recently and feature grab-and-go items, perfect for travelers to take on the plane. Staples such as El Bravo, Paradise Bakery and Cafe and Starbucks will remain in Terminal 4, but will be moving to new locations.
“This is a busy and exciting time of year for vacations and summer travel and we are very happy to be able to begin providing a new experience at Sky Harbor Airport that will truly showcase an authentic taste of Phoenix,” said Steve Douglas, vice president of business development for HMSHost. “Terminal 4 is the busiest spot in one of America’s busiest airports and we’re bringing out the best of the best to showcase the great dining in the city of Phoenix.”
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said the update to Terminal 4, when complete, will reflect the flavor of America’s sixth largest city.
“When travelers come to visit Phoenix or pass through our airport, I want them to know what Phoenix is all about, and soon they’ll be able to taste it,” Mayor Greg Stanton said. “They’ll know that our city and our airport support our local businesses, and that Phoenix is an epicenter of high-quality, modern and authentic dining.”
Local Phoenix restaurateurs Sam Fox of Fox Restaurant Group and Bob Lynn of LGO Hospitality have partnered with HMSHost to bring an unprecedented level of culinary expertise to Terminal 4 throughout its North and South wings. Travelers passing through the A gates will find the full range of Sam Fox’s food imagination: Modern Burger’s juicy burger sliders, and Blanco Tacos + Tequila’s delicious, award-winning traditional Mexican fare of guacamole, tacos and margaritas inspired by Baja and Sonora.
The transformation, which features a new off-site commissary and technological improvements that will speed and ease service for travelers, has already begun.
“This transformation was carefully planned and balances the practical needs of travelers with a range of options, pre-security and post-security, for on-the-go or for those with more time to spare,” said Derek Boettcher, senior director of food & beverage for HMSHost at Sky Harbor Airport.
Visitors to the D Concourse will enjoy Bob Lynn’s popular LGO restaurant brands. The La Grande Orange experience will offer four distinct and delicious options — LGO Burger, LGO Deli and the LGO Pizza with Grateful Spoon Gelato.
The dining experience at Phoenix Sky Harbor extends further with these enticing offerings:
- Fans of the New York Pizza Department (NYPD) will tell you it’s the best authentic New York-style pizza in Arizona.
- Press Coffee offers more than outstanding coffee with fresh roasted beans. Press offers salads, daily soups, and Panini sandwiches to satisfy any appetite.
- One of Phoenix’s must-try restaurants, Cowboy Ciao is coming to the high B gates in Sky Harbor’s international concourse. What started as a very unique Southwest-meets-Italian premise has evolved into a style best described as eclectic American.
- The French countryside makes a trip to this Concourse in the form of la Madeleine, luring travelers with healthy offerings including salads, vegetarian fare, and delicious sweet treats.
- Barrio Café is the creation of chef and owner Silvana Salcido-Esparza who makes her Mexico-inspired dishes a must-taste for everyone. Barrio Café will be located in the D concourse. Chef Esparza is a 2010 and 2011 James Beard Foundation nominee for Best Chef-Southwest.
- Also in B and C gates, HMSHost’s busy baristas at Starbucks will fuel weary travelers with great beverages and snacks — no matter what time zone they are entering or have just departed.
- Travelers to the C gates will find the much-beloved Paradise Bakery (now open), along with a Tucson tradition come-to-life in Sir Veza’s Taco Garage — offering something for everyone from hand-bored guacamole and imaginatively sauced wings, to Nitro Nachos and Tricked Out Tacos, as well as the local legend in coffee, Cartel Coffee Lab.
- The pre-security Terminal 4 lobby will showcase Bob Lynn’s Chelsea’s Kitchen, specializing in gourmet burgers, upscale taco platters, rotisserie meats and American comfort food. It will be joined by Sam Fox’s Sauce (now open) where guests will get a full complement of pizza, salad and pasta. Also pre-security, Starbucks fans will greet their favorite java in the lobby as they wait happily for family members.
The tentative schedule of openings for the summer and fall:
Blanco Tacos & Tequila
Cartel Coffee Lab
La Grande Orange