Go Red for Women raises awareness that one in three women die of heart disease and stroke each year, said Cindy Roberts, a registered nurse who is organizing the Go Red event at the Abrazo Arizona Heart Hospital at1930 E. Thomas Rd., Phoenix.
“Most cardiac events can be prevented with education and lifestyle changes,’’ Roberts said. “We encourage everyone to wear red, raise their voices, know their cardiovascular risk and take action to live longer, healthier lives.’’
An estimated 44 million women nationwide are affected by cardiovascular diseases, and 90 percent of women have one or more risk factors for heart disease or stroke, according to the American Heart Association.
“When it comes to beating heart disease and stroke, change can be a cure,” Roberts said.
Go Red for Women is one of several free community events being presented by Abrazo Community Health Network. On Feb. 3, visitors are invited to join Abrazo Arizona Heart Hospital staff in wearing red to show their support for the National Wear Red Day presented by the American Heart Association on the first Friday in February.
Activities will take place from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. in the front lobby of the hospital, 1930 E. Thomas Road.
The event will host:
- Free blood pressure and blood sugar screenings along with body mass index (BMI) checks. Cholesterol screenings also will be available to the first 100 people. For glucose, please fast for six to eight hours prior to this test for accurate results
- Healthcare professionals on hand to answer questions. A physician and nurse practitioner will be available for consultation
- American Heart Association Red Dress pins for participants. The dress has become the iconic symbol of the battle against heart disease and stroke in women. AHA also will provide educational materials
- Stroke, heart disease, diabetes and other educational materials
- Continuous CPR demonstrations
Meals to Go, which offers heart-healthy meals made at Abrazo Scottsdale Campus and delivered to Abrazo’s five other hospitals.
Heart-healthy meals will be available for purchase at the Abrazo Arizona Heart Hospital cafeteria from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Cost is $6 per person but people wearing red or an American Heart Association Red Dress pin will get a 20 percent discount.
The heart-healthy breakfast items are oatmeal with fresh berries, scrambled eggs with tomato and goat cheese, fresh fruit cup, yogurt and juice. An on-the-go breakfast also will be offered including a heart healthy cereal with a banana and 1 percent milk.
The heart-healthy lunch will include one entrée, a vegetable and starch. The menu includes grilled salmon topped with mango pineapple salsa, grilled chicken marinated in balsamic vinegar topped with Pico de Galio, steamed asparagus, sautéed Brussels sprouts and brown rice.