Women’s Health magazine teamed up with the experts at Airbnb this month to find the top U.S. destinations for our 2018 Wellness Travel Awards – and Sedona has been named one of the Top 10 Cities for a Healthy Getaway.
To find its winning cities, Women’s Health parsed wellness-related wish lists on the Airbnb platform — searching for terms like adventure, calm, and fitness — and came up with a list of cities that are buzzing. From there, we assigned superlatives to help readers target their vacation goals and chatted with in-the-know locals.
A few reasons Sedona made the list, and took home the superlative for “Best for Outdoor Fitness”:
• Stay in shape and soak up views: the scenic outdoor fitness scene happens year-round on sandstone formations and rust-colored landscapes.
• Catch a Juicy Sunset: Hike the Baldwin Trail starting at its trailhead, then watch the sun reflect off Cathedral Rock into Oak Creek. (FYI: The rock is the second most photographed spot in Arizona – right after the Grand Canyon.)
• Down-dog on top of a vortex: Pack a yoga mat and head to Bell Rock or Airport Vortex, points where the Earth believed to be alive with healing energy – in Sedona.
• Get Good and dirty: Cruise a dusty trail on a mountain bike-beginners should had to Bell Rock Pathway, while intermediate bikers can try the Jordan Trail. Laugh at steep drops? Hangover Trail is a mecca for advanced riders.
• Swim among the Red Rocks: Don your suit for Slide Rock State Park in Oak Creek Canyon, where an 80-foot-long natural waterslide has worn into the stone. (Algae keeps the chute nice and slippery).