As we pull out the shorts and sleeveless dresses, some of us will signal more than summer’s arrival: we’ll show just how much desert living impacts our skin.
To counter flaky, scaly skin, the experts at Affiliated Dermatology share this advice:
1. Drink plenty of water
• The more water you drink, the more likely your skin cells will stay hydrated.
• The old rule of thumb was to drink 64 ounces per day (roughly equal to a two-liter bottle) but it really depends on your size and activities. A better goal may be to drink between a half-ounce and one ounce for every pound you weigh. So, a 140-pound person would aim for between 70 and 140 ounces of water per day.
2. Avoid long, hot showers
• Too much hot water can strip away skin’s natural oils. Try lukewarm instead and limit showers to ten minutes.
• Immediately after bathing, pat skin (don’t rub skin rub dry) and apply moisturizer to lock in water.
3. Use correct products
• Some cleansers may be too harsh and strip your skin’s natural barrier.
• Avoid products that contain alcohol, which can be drying. Opt for a mild, noncomedogenic cleanser, which is formulated to not block pores.
• It may be tempting to slather on a heavy moisturizer but depending on your skin, a lighter, hydrating lotion may be more beneficial during summer.
• Using scrubs to slough off dry, dead cells can increase blood circulation, unclog pores and improve skin appearance.
• Exfoliation can also help skincare products penetrate more deeply.
5. Wear Sunscreen
• Every day, apply sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 that provides protection against UVA and UVB rays.
• Most adults need about one ounce (equivalent to a shot glass) to cover their body.
• Cover all exposed skin, including neck, ears, and top of head.
• Reapply every two hours when outdoors and immediately after swimming or sweating.
6. Protect Lips
• Use a lip balm with an SPF of at least 30.
• Consider natural balms to moisturize and hydrate like beeswax and extra virgin olive oil.
• To prevent drying, avoid licking lips.
7. Towel off
• Alcohol-free facial wipes can provide a quick cleanse without drying out skin.
• Some wipes focus on cleansing while others have moisturizing formulas.