Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino.
A look at Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino’s 25 years of impact
Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino (Harrah’s) is celebrating its 25th anniversary throughout 2019. In addition to recently completing a multi-million dollar renovation that included a new lobby, a 12-story, 229-guestroom tower, spa, expanded gaming space, new restaurants, the Events Center at Harrah’s Ak-Chin, parking garage, a new Bingo hall and a newly renamed Laurel Lounge for Caesars Rewards members, Harrah’s is celebrating the anniversary with a look back at its impact on the Ak-Chin Community and beyond over the past quarter-century.
Here are just 25 of their “greatest community hits” over the past 25 years:
1. The Ak-Chin Indian Community entered into the gaming industry in 1994 as part of the original compacts and established a management agreement with Harrah’s. To date, Ak-Chin is the only tribal community with an international management company.
2. A central element to the recent renovation was a focus on the tribe’s rich history. Throughout the property, guests will see Native American-inspired artwork and design elements that highlight the culture and traditions of the Ak-Chin Indian Community.
3. The Harrah’s Development System (HDS) integrates members of the Ak-Chin Indian Community into key areas of the Casino Entertainment Industry. HDS Associates gain knowledge, experience, and leadership skills that will enable them to advance into management positions.
4. To date, 67 Ak-Chin Community members have participated in the HDS program. Over the years, more than 12 members of the Ak-Chin Indian Community have moved into management, including Community Government, in the capacities of current and former Ak-Chin Tribal Council Members.
5. Currently, Harrah’s is responsible for employing 23 members of the Ak-Chin Indian Community.
6. An extended branch of the HDS program is the Harrah’s Ak-Chin Summer Youth Program which employs qualified youth between the ages of 16 and 18.
7. The Summer Youth Program is geared to direct the Community youth towards a career within the business. To date, Harrah’s Ak-Chin has employed 34 summer youth participants.
8. Nearly 1,000 people are employed at Harrah’s Ak-Chin.
9. Approximately 50 percent of Harrah’s managers are women and nearly 32 percent represent minority groups.
10. Caesars Entertainment and Harrah’s Ak-Chin generate 2.5 times more societal contributions per $10 million in revenue than the average Arizona company. Societal contributions include nonprofit organizations, employee volunteering, taxes and employee salaries and benefits.
11. Since 1994, Harrah’s has been active in CodeGreen, which is Caesars Entertainment’s effort to raise awareness around environmental conservation, as well as the health and wellness benefits of an active and healthy lifestyle, through activities and promotions that educate and support environmental consciousness.
12. More than 2.5 million pounds of recyclable items were collected in the last year.
13. Harrah’s employees and their families as well as Ak-Chin Indian Community members participated in the following CodeGreen activities: Shred-It and Adopt A Highway clean up events, creation of an Employee Garden, clothing drives, Earth Day celebrations, creating Clean the World Hygiene kits for veterans in need, community conservation festivals, tree raffles for Arbor Day and lightbulb, plastic bags and paint recycling.
14. Harrah’s Ak-Chin Casino and Resort is rated a Green Key property by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council. The rating system is designed to recognize hotels, motels, and resorts that are committed to improving environmental and fiscal performance.
15. Since 1994, Harrah’s has been active in HERO, an employee-based volunteer program in which Harrah’s staff and their families make noteworthy and visible contributions to the community.
16. More than 90 percent of Harrah’s employees participated in at least one HERO activity.
17. Harrah’s employees have logged more than 160,000 volunteer hours through its HERO program.
18. Harrah’s HERO program has supported more than 2,800 nonprofit and community organizations.
19. Among the many organizations that Harrah’s Ak-Chin supports includes F.O.R. Maricopa , United Way of Pinal County, American Cancer Society-Maricopa Relay for Life, Maricopa Against Abuse and Area Agency on Aging.
20. Each year, upwards of 100 Harrah’s employees and their families lace up their running shoes and participate in Pat’s Run, the signature fundraising event to support the Pat Tillman Foundation’s
Tillman Scholars program.
21. Each year, Harrah’s does a variety of events in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Campaign for the Cause activities planned during the month of October: Mobile Onsite Mammography, Breast Cancer Prevention Seminar, Penny War Competition, Bake sale, participation in the American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk at Tempe Beach Park and submissions to the Rainbow Donation Wall that honors those touched by cancer with employee-shared, written testaments.
22. Harrah’s participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure for 10 years (2006-2016), resulting in 1,419 employees participating.
23. Harrah’s encourages both men and women to participate in the “Movember” program each year; 1,206 employees have participated.
24. Harrah’s has participated in the Maricopa Salvation Army Christmas Angels program for more than 15 years. In the last 10 years, Harrah’s has impacted 1,246 local Maricopa children.
25. Harrah’s has been a long-time supporter of Maricopa Against Abuse. Among the many activities include clothing drives; hosted and/or participated in Against Abuse Seeds of Change Gala; World Series of Poker Employee Tournament; Christmas Adopt-A-Family; and Annual Taste of Casa Grande.