Spring is historically a bustling travel period at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, and this March should be the busiest month of the year as usual. Spring break for students of all ages means families and college students fly through Sky Harbor, making it buzz with activity in March.
The Valley of the Sun is home to many seasonal events, like Spring Training, food and art festivals, and sunny days spent outdoors, which is why visitors flock to Phoenix throughout the month. Additionally, the TicketGuardian 500 NASCAR Weekend at ISM Raceway will be held March 8-10, and is expected to be among the busiest periods at the airport.
Here are some tips to make your spring trip through America’s Friendliest Airport® a breeze:
Before You Fly
• Better early than late. If you are traveling domestic, arrive at least two hours prior to your flight. International travelers should arrive three hours early. Confirm your flight status with your airline before coming to the airport. We will be busy. Give yourself extra time.
• Parking made easy. Use Prepaid Discount Parking at any terminal parking garage and at East Economy to save bucks. Reserve a parking space online up to six months in advance.
• Double-check your carry-on bags. Make sure to look through your carry-on bag or purse prior to arriving at the airport to ensure that none of your packed items fall under the TSA Prohibited Items List. Also, souvenir baseball bats are not permitted in your carry-on bags and will need to be placed in checked luggage.
• Need a rental car? Plan ahead. America’s Friendliest Airport® recommends reserving your rental car in advance. Our Rental Car Center has several major rental car companies to help you get around town.
• Don’t get stuck in road traffic. The 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station is available to everyone in need of an option to get to and from the airport. The PHX Sky Train® operates 24 hours a day and arrives every 3-5 minutes: skyharbor.com/PHXSkyTrain. And it’s FREE!
When You’re at the Airport
• Grab a bite to eat. America’s Tastiest Airport has delicious food options from award-winning local cuisine to nationally recognized restaurants. We feature restaurants specific to Arizona where customers can get a taste of the Southwest. See a list of dining options at skyharbor.com/Dining.
• Shop or relax. Don’t arrive at your destination empty-handed: Take advantage of Arizona boutiques and upscale national stores for a fashionable gift. Get pampered in one of our spas in Terminal 4 before boarding your plane. To find stores that sell last-minute travel necessities and souvenirs at Sky Harbor, visit skyharbor.com/ShopsFoodServices/Shops.
• Visit our medical clinic for urgent care. Get an immunity boost, fill a last-minute prescription, or see a medical practitioner for a non-life-threatening illness or injury in our Terminal 4 clinic, US CareWays Urgent Care.
• Enjoy local artists. Arizona is full of talented painters, photographers, sculptors, and other artists. See the beauty of Arizona at our Museum exhibitions that can be found in all terminals.
• Check wait times online and in the terminals. TSA Security Checkpoint wait times are updated live on the front page of skyharbor.com and on the flight information displays in each airport terminal.
• Additional travel tips are available at skyharbor.com.