It was a homecoming to remember. Russo and Steele Collector Automobile Auctions kicked off its 20th anniversary year in Scottsdale. The most exciting collector car auction in the world, returned to its original location just south of the North 101 Freeway and Scottsdale Road.
“This was the picture-perfect location for Arizona Car Week,” said Drew Alcazar, auction president and CEO of Russo and Steele. “The excitement at returning to this spot was palpable as night after night the cars crossed the block to a standing room only crowd.”
More than 500+ cars went to auction January 16 through 19, on the 20+ acre site just off the south side of the Loop 101 Freeway. Thousands of spectators marveled at the equivalent of five football fields of tents throughout the five-day event beginning with a preview day on January 15. On Friday night, a 2000 Butler Cobra Roadster Replica sold for $60,000 with 100% of the proceeds going to national nonprofit Folds of Honor. The organization provides educational scholarships to spouses and children of America’s fallen and disabled service members. The donation of the 1965 Shelby Cobra Replica was made possible by Russo and Steele and Quik Trip. The top 10 cars that sold at auction included:
• 1957 Mercedes-Benz 300SL sold for $1,045,000
• 1971 Ferrari Daytona sold for $550,000
• 1956 Porsche 356 Speedster sold for $258,500
• 1970 Plymouth Superbird sold for $222,000
• 1959 Creative Workshop Sport Speciale sold for $181,500
• 1966 Ford Mustang Shelby sold for $156,750
• 1973 Lamborghini Espada Series III sold for $140,000
• 1959 Chevrolet Corvette sold for $126,000
• 2013 Mclaren MP4-12C sold for $118,250
• 1958 Desoto Firesweep sold for $115,500
Gross total sales at the Scottsdale auction this year at Russo and Steele were $10,714,050.
“My wife, Josephine, and I really want to thank everyone who supported us on this journey,” said Alcazar. “Russo and Steele is our passion and we have been fortunate to enjoy these last 20 years.”
For more information about Russo and Steele, visit russoandsteele.com or follow them on Facebook and Instagram @RussoandSteele.