The Dog People at Rover.com, the nation’s largest network of 5-star pet sitters and dog walkers, released its fifth annual report of the year’s most popular dog names and found, once again, pet owners in Phoenix prefer human names. The top name for 2017 is “Max” for male dogs and “Bella” for female dogs.
In addition to “Max”, the top five male dog names in Phoenix include “Charlie”, “Buddy”, “Cooper”, and “Jack”. After “Bella” the top five female dog names are “Lucy”, “Daisy”, “Luna”, and “Molly”.
Some fun findings on dog names in Phoenix:
• Phoenicians looked to local native tribes for inspiration this year. Names like Tohono, Pima and Apache rose 43%.
• Nature and animal theme names are both up. They rose 13% and 19%, respectively.
• Cheers! Boozy dog names are on the rise in Phoenix in 2017. They rose 8%
• Top Boozy Name on the RIse
- Jager (up 189%)
- Kahlua (up 138%)
- Jack Daniels (up 282%)
- You can find other fun national trends in the infographic or in the Rover blog post
On a national level, dominating this year’s list were dog names inspired by top baby names, with human-inspired names making up a whopping 44% of all dog names in 2017 – up 57% from 2016.
Also, in 2017, 8% of all dog names were clearly pop culture-influenced. From “Stranger Things” to “Star Wars,” pet parents are naming their dogs after their favorite icons.
Food and political names trended down in 2017, missing the top tier this year, but new sources of inspiration on the list include newsmakers like “Wonder Woman,” Taylor Swift, and “DoggoLingo.”
The Top Dog Names report was developed by Rover between August and October 2017. Results are based on analysis of millions of user-submitted dog names provided by owners on Rover.com.