The 10th Annual Arizona Taco Festival sponsored by the City of Scottsdale is celebrating a decade of tacos by offering more taco amusement and milestone munchies, including more than 50 taco teams dishing out creative $3 steak, pork, seafood, veggie and even vegan tacos, as they compete for $10,000 and bragging rights in this esteemed taco competition.
The festival will commence on October 12 and 13, 2019 at its new, larger WestWorld of Scottsdale location. The taco playground will expand and take over 300 acres, featuring the fan-faves, plus a whole new line-up of taco-tainment during the two-day festival.
Here are 10 new festivities at the 10th Annual Arizona Taco Festival:
• Dance, Laugh and Cheer: Attendees will enjoy live music by local DJs and bands to get the party started and keep it going throughout the weekend. Hilarious contests will take place throughout both days on the main stage and playful festival commentary will elicit laughs while keeping guests up-to-date on the latest in taco talent and competition.
• Lucha Libre Arena and Lucha Bar: Wrestlers slam down under a structured tent, and bleacher seating with its own bar and band with a Tijuana meets Quentin Tarantino vibe.
• Taco Society Culture Tent: Taco-centric fashion, art, photography, music and more to get into the full taco spirit, mind, body and soul, co-curated by local artist Gennaro Garcia.
• Holy Hot Sauce: This expo tent will feature 100 hot sauces to sample, buy, and vote for the People’s Choice award. All hot sauces will be curated by Vic Clinco, the owner of the largest private collection of hot sauces in the world.
• Day of the Dead Wedding: For one lucky couple who gets hitched on the main stage Day of the Dead style and then celebrates with their wedding party in a private cabana.
• Millennial Playground: An interactive, social experience, featuring Taco See-Saws, Guacamole Ball Pits, Instagrammable toys, and charging stations to keep shooting social media moments.
• Tequila Expo: Guests will be able to sample from over 100 types of tequila and other agave-based spirits. Expo tickets are $20 and hours are from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• Technicolored Instagrammable cooking demo hosted by AZFoodie
• VIP Cantina: An exclusive 10th Annual Arizona Taco Festival experience with private catering by Chef Michael DeMaria of M Culinary, full premium bar, ample lounge seating, games and entertainment. Tickets include $35 in food credit as well, to sample around the festival.
• Lead Up Events: Leading up to the big weekend, there will be boutique events to get the party started like Taco Loco Battle hosted by Chef Beau MacMillan, Margarita Wars with the Valley’s top mixologists, Taco 101 cooking demos at Williams-Sonoma Biltmore Fashion Park, Rock the Guac, WeWork WeFiesta a collaboration with WeWork, and Taste Tequila seminar.
Returning festival favorites include:
• A solid line-up of over 50 taco vendors including Arizona’s top taquerias, taco food trucks, and taco titans will bring the best of the best tacos for $3 each.
• The Main Taco Competition, where local chefs battle for the best taco titles as well as $10,000 in cash prizes, trophies and bragging rights. A panel of Taco Society sanctioned judges including media personalities and taco connoisseurs will blind taste test all the taco entries. An award ceremony will honor the winners of the taco competition including a People’s Choice award and crown the Grand Champions, the Top Taco of 2019.
• Interactive photo booths and photo experiences.
• Hot Chili Pepper eating contest will award one fire-proof palette who can withstand five rounds of peppers including the world’s hottest peppers, Carolina Reaper and Trinidad Scorpion.
• Mucho Taco Eating contests where 10 strong stomached volunteers see how many tacos they can consume in a short amount of time.
• Ay! Chihuahua Beauty Pageant where over 20 chihuahuas in vibrant costumes strut their stuff with eccentric owners in tow.
The festival is open Saturday, October 12 and Sunday, October 13 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. One-day General Admission will begin at $10 per ticket in honor of the 10th anniversary for the first 2,019 ticket buyers and increase to $15 per ticket. Military members will receive half off their ticket. The VIP Cantina will offer chef curated food, private bars, entertainment, private bathrooms, seating for $135 per day. Tickets are only sold online on www.AZTacofestival.com and food and beverages cost extra. Arizona Taco Festival is a cashless event.
WestWorld of Scottsdale is located at 16601 N. Pima Road, Scottsdale, AZ. The 10th Annual Arizona Taco Festival is sponsored by the City of Scottsdale.
For an up-to-date lineup of 10-year anniversary festivities, restaurants, spirits and entertainment, visit www.AZTacoestival.com or follow Arizona Taco Festival on social media: