America’s Friendliest Airport is about to be even busier than usual with activities and events taking place this month throughout the Valley, like spring break travel, FanShield 500 NASCAR Weekend, and Spring Training games. Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport traditionally sees its highest passenger counts in the month of March.
Due to the busy Spring season, it is very important for passengers to plan ahead before they travel through Sky Harbor. One of the biggest changes here: Terminal 2 is closed and all the airlines that formerly operated out of it are now flying out of Terminal 3, which is now fully open with a new North Concourse and more shops and restaurants.
Here are some tips to help you travel through Phoenix Sky Harbor with ease:
Before You Fly
• Plan Ahead. Domestic travelers should get to the airport at least two hours prior to their flight, and if traveling internationally, arrive at least three hours early. Confirm flight status with the airline before coming to the airport.
• Parking is a breeze. Enjoy the convenience of Sky Harbor Discount Parking. Park in both terminal parking garages, the East Economy Lot, and the West Economy Garage. Book a spot up to six months in advance.
• Remember to look through your bags. Prior to arriving at the airport, check carry-on bags or purses for TSA Prohibited Items. In addition, travelers taking home a souvenir baseball bat from a Spring Training game will need to place it in checked luggage.
• Need a rental car? Reserve in advance. Coming in from out of town? It is recommended to reserve a rental car in advance. Our Rental Car Center has several major rental car companies to help visitors get around town.
• Avoid traffic. The 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station offers a FREE option to get to and from the terminals and to avoid roadway traffic and curb congestion. Get picked up or dropped off there and catch the PHX Sky Train®, which operates 24 hours a day and arrives every 3-5 minutes. A free cell phone waiting lot is also available. See more at skyharbor.com/PHXSkyTrain.
When You’re at the Airport
• Enjoy some local eats. America’s Tastiest Airport is the home of several local restaurants in both terminals serving Southwest-inspired cuisine, such as Barrio Café, San Tan Brewing, and Chelsea’s Kitchen. National favorites are also available throughout the airport, including Panda Express, McDonalds, and Shake Shack. Go to skyharbor.com/Dining.
• Shop or relax. Don’t arrive at your destination empty-handed. Take advantage of Arizona boutiques and upscale national stores for a fashionable gift. Give yourself a present and get pampered in one of our spas in Terminal 4 before boarding your plane. To find stores that sell last-minute travel necessities and souvenirs at Sky Harbor, visit skyharbor.com/ Shops.
• Explore some local art. Both terminals showcase art exhibitions created by talented Arizona painters, photographers, sculptors, and other artists. These beautiful Museum exhibitions can be seen both before and after security.
• Check wait times. TSA Security Checkpoint wait times are available on the front page of skyharbor.com and in the terminals on the flight information displays.
• Additional travel tips are available at skyharbor.com.