Video content for lead generation: 10 tips to get started
Video content marketing is consistently growing more popular, as more business owners and marketers realize just how powerful this medium is. One of the main applications of video production is lead generation; in other words, you’ll use videos to generate interest in your products and services, ultimately leading to more sales.
But if you’re new to using video content for lead generation, you might feel lost or intimidated. In this guide, we’ll explain the basics so you can get started.
Why is video such a powerful medium?
Consumer demand. For starters, people like videos. There are many reasons for this, including the fact that videos are convenient, easy to watch, and engaging. But the bottom line is there are more people watching online videos than ever before, which means you have an excellent opportunity to appeal to your audience through them.
Information processing. Human beings evolved to parse visual information quickly and easily. As a result, we typically have an easier time understanding videos than reading complex articles.
Distribution and utility. You can use videos for almost any type of content, providing information, entertainment, or access to other resources. You can also distribute them across many different channels, broadening your reach even further.
Tips for Lead Generation With Video
So what steps can you take to generate leads with videos more efficiently?
1. Invest in professional video production. First, be prepared to invest in professional video production. Too often, people mistakenly assume that they can put together amateur videos capable of generating a steady stream of leads. It’s much better to work with professionals who know how to frame your videos, light them effectively, and ultimately make them look more polished.
2. Otherwise, invest in gear. If you decide not to invest in professional video production, make sure you at least invest in the gear you’re using. It’s possible to make amateur videos with nothing more than a smartphone, but you’re much better off investing in a professional camera, primary and secondary lighting, an excellent microphone, and other tools.
3. Define your sales funnel. Before you get too deep in the planning process, make sure you define your sales funnel. How do people become aware of your product and eventually start using it? At what stage in the funnel is lead generation going to be most effective?
4. Get to know your target audience. In line with this, define and get to know your target audience. Who are the people you’re trying to target? What are their goals and values? What information do they have and what are they looking for in a video like yours?
5. Target specifically. Once you have this knowledge, you’ll be able to put together videos that target your audience specifically. Don’t make the mistake of creating a generic video meant to appeal to everyone; doing so will simply make your video irrelevant to the masses. It’s much better to narrow your target audience while increasing relevance.
6. Include a persuasive call to action. Always include a call to action (CTA). Most people who watch a video aren’t going to immediately get the idea to visit your website or buy your product. If you want to motivate action, you have to do it directly. Ask your users to take some specific action at the end of the video, even if it’s just clicking a link or leaving a comment.
7. Keep your videos short. For the most part, shorter videos perform better. Long, detailed videos are great for exploring complex subjects or educating your audience, but if you’re only interested in capturing attention and motivating action, keep things concise.
8. Optimize for search engines. Practice search engine optimization (SEO) for your videos. Essentially, this means customizing your titles, descriptions, and tags so they’re more likely to appear for searches that your users are actively making. You can practice this with respect to Google, YouTube, and other search engines.
9. Distribute across multiple platforms. Video can be shared and distributed across many different channels, so take advantage of this. After publishing your video, share it on social media and try to get it in front of as many people as possible.
10. Measure and analyze your results. Spend time measuring and analyzing your results. Which of your videos have generated the most leads? Which ones have gotten the best feedback? Learn critical lessons and apply them to your next round of videos.
Video content is an excellent addition to any lead generation strategy, especially if you have excellent fundamentals already in place. That said, video isn’t a magic key that unlocks your true lead generation potential automatically. You’ll need to work hard and overcome many obstacles before your strategy fully takes off.