Are you looking for the secret to avoiding the flu this year? The flu vaccine effectiveness this year is 62%. According to the CDC, a report of 47 states have widespread flu activity. More than 200,000 people are hospitalized with a bad case of the flu and thus experiencing symptoms of fever, body aches, congestion, and fatigue. Keeping a healthy lifestyle is the best defense against the flu.
* Eat five to six servings of fresh fruits and vegetables daily. The antioxidant power coupled with natural vitamins improves immune function to aid your body in fighting off infections.
* Reduce stress as too much stress impairs the immune system.
* Exercise regularly by walking at least five times a week for 30 minutes which will boost your body’s immunity.
* Get plenty of sleep and allow rest to ensure your body can properly refuel. Most adults require 7-8 hours of sleep a night while children require at least 9 hours.
* Flu shots are recommended for most individuals especially children, healthcare workers, and immunocompromised adults.
Shuree K. Oldehoeft-Ohlemann operates Arizona Mobile Medicine, a medical housecall practice striving to provide healthcare in calming, caring and convenient atmosphere. Contact her at (480) 766-0550.