Online courses or e-learning has quickly transformed from what many originally regarded as a passing fad, to an increasingly popular alternative to classroom-based study through to today. Today online courses are considered the norm and have enabled thousands and thousands of people all over the world to access education and professional training. Often these courses are favored by people who are already in work or have family commitments which make the rigidity of scheduled classroom study unrealistic. If you are trying to take the next step on the career ladder or looking for a complete change of industry, an online degree could open the door.
What are Online Degree Courses?
To take an online degree course, you will need access to a laptop, personal computer, or mobile device with an internet connection. The teaching is delivered in a virtual environment by audio/video platforms, online documents, and online communication with tutors. The resources are often accessible on a 24/7 basis, which means the learning can be completed at any time of day or night wherever you are.
Benefits of Online Study
• Online study is popular amongst people who wish to advance their careers. The flexibility of the course enables students to continue to work either full or part-time while studying. This means they don’t need to take a break from their career, which could be counterproductive to career progression, and they can continue to earn money.
• Online courses are often structured in such a way that students can learn at their own pace and on their own schedule, which is ideal for those with time commitments elsewhere in life.
• Studying from home is far more convenient and cheaper than traveling to and from college or university.
• Learning in a physical classroom can be pressured with deadlines and other students to keep up with, but online study puts you in control. You can take your time to understand a topic rather than rushing through it to meet a deadline.
• Your tutor will be easily contactable to advise, support, and motivate you as you study.
So, those are the general benefits of online study, but can an online degree help you to advance your career? The answer, of course, is yes.
How Online Study Could Advance Your Career
1. Access a Wide Range of Professional Qualifications
When we choose to study in a classroom at a college or university, our ideal course may not be available in our local area. We may have to face a long commute, move away from home, or compromise by choosing a degree which is close to what we want. Online study enables you to choose the exact course you need, regardless of where you are in the world. There is a huge range of courses available from counseling or IT development to an online Master of Healthcare Administration.
2. International Networking
You’ll be studying alongside students and under tutors from all over the world. You’ll get to know people from a range of other cultures and backgrounds and broaden your knowledge beyond your degree. Each is highly qualified and experienced in their field and could be an invaluable connection to have when you are looking for a new career opportunity.
3. Ambition & Professional Skills
If you can juggle your work and study at the same time, it shows that you are committed to your industry, which is an attractive quality in a candidate. Your time management skills and proactivity will be key in making your online degree a success, and employers will appreciate this.
4. Study While Working
Studying while working means you don’t need to take time off work, and therefore, you can continue to gather experience, professional skills, and practical industry knowledge.