Arizona’s latest zero-energy housing, MZ Townhomes are now on the market in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale.
As the ﬁrst of four zero-energy housing projects to be unveiled by MODUS Development, the building features eight townhomes, each complete with a variety of innovative, earth-friendly features that allow for a completely sustainable environment.
“This is something that has yet to be accomplished in the industry,” said Ed Gorman, founder of MODUS Development. “To have multiple spaces that not only provide a modern, chic appeal and space-saving design but also utilize a variety of sustainable amenities to provide a net-zero energy consumption is quite the feat, and we’re proud to be the ﬁrst to fulﬁll that need in the marketplace.”
Each of the spaces available for sale (starting at $449,900) within MZ Townhomes feature the following sustainable amenities:
- Rooftop mounted solar panels
- Cool roof technology, which provides additional insulation, waterprooﬁng and a white elastomeric coating which reﬂects the suns harsh rays
- Solar orientation (windows/doors all facing north and south)
- Hybrid water heater whose heat pump technology absorbs the heat in ambient air and transfers it into water, resulting in savings of over 60%
- Daylighting with ﬂoor to ceiling windows and recessed balconies
- Heating ventilation and cooling system with 14 SEER heat pump
- Energy recovery ventilator brings in continuous supply of fresh air while exhausting contaminated air, thus reducing load on air conditioner and saving on cooling costs
- Automated thermostat and lighting controls allow for lower energy consumption and monitoring of energy usage in real time
- PEX plumbing conserves energy by not transferring heat as readily as copper; makes direct run to each plumbing ﬁxture
- Icynene spray foam ﬁlls all exterior walls and ceilings to seal the building from air leaks and provide additional insulation and sound prooﬁng
These features will also be a part of the next three zero-energy complexes that MODUS Development plans to unveil in the coming year; all focused on optimizing technology, location and design.
Equinox Apartments, created in partnership with Viridis Group, will be MODUS Development’s next zero-energy multi-family housing complex located on the Scottsdale greenbelt, which is set to open on March 20. This summer, a third zero-energy project will be completed near Granite Reef and McDowell Road in Scottsdale.
Last, the second phase of MZ Townhomes will break ground this fall. Details regarding all projects forthcoming.