The world has lately been so economically unstable that more and more people are considering investing to protect themselves against the financial turmoil that might await most of us.  During the pandemic, the unemployment rate soared to a level not seen since the Great Depression. The unemployment level stood at 4.9 percent in October 2021, compared with 3.5 percent in February 2020. With 4.2 million fewer jobs in October 2021 than in February 2020, there is little wonder that people began considering investing in forex trading, real estate, or any other business. Profits from these investments might defend us against unemployment, inflation, and recession looming presently large in the minds of financial analysts.

The question novices might ask when considering investing is what industry generates more profits? If you were deliberating whether invest in foreign currencies or real estate, which sector would you choose? What are the benefits of investing in forex trading, and what are the pros of putting your money in immovable properties? In the paragraphs below, we are elaborating on the similarities and differences between these two types of investments to help you come to a more informed decision should you indeed hesitate about how to invest your money.


It is obvious that you need a different amount of money to invest in property and currency pairs. At the moment of writing, EUR/USD is trading at $1.0242. A house in the United States costs on average $400,000. You need at least 10% of its acquisition cost to purchase it, provided the bank can lend you the remaining 90%. In other words, if you want to invest in real estate, you will be required to lay out about $40,000, an annual income for most of us.

Trading in the Foreign Exchange market is less costly. Brokers usually allow traders to open a trading account with just a $200 deposit. If you invest $50, you can trade 10,000 units of a currency, provided you have a margin ratio of 200:1. Many brokers offer leverage of 1:400, which allows traders to earn a more significant profit when trading currencies. If you cannot part with an amount equalling your yearly income, investing in Foreign Exchange might be a more feasible option. When markets are highly volatile, and rising inflation might tip countries into recession, making money in currencies could be a profitable business.


Earning an income in forex is also a much quicker business than real estate. As the Foreign Exchange market never sleeps, people trade currencies round-the-clock. Whenever you want to purchase or sell currencies, there definitely be somebody who would like to buy from or sell them to you. The exchange can be made within seconds. If you wish to exchange hundreds of thousands of dollars for another currency, you can earn a handsome profit at lightning speed.

Purchasing or selling a property is a complex process that can drag on for months, even when the two sides have agreed on the price and are willing to clinch the deal quickly. There are a minimum of twelve documents you will be asked to prepare to buy or sell a house, not to mention your visits to lawyers, notaries, and various agencies that are equally time-consuming. People who prefer profiting rather sooner than later might be more attracted to currencies than real estate.


In many businesses, a mediating party can complicate them. The third party might not be suitable for your market and prove costly. In forex trading, the presence of a mediating side – a broker – makes your life easier. Its absence in real estate, in contrast, makes it more intricate. When you work in real estate, you deal directly with the other party and take on the other side of the transaction. This is why you must consult your lawyers to ensure you know what to do should the other party fail to fulfill its obligations.

When you trade currencies, you do not worry whether the other party fulfills its end of the bargain. In the Foreign Exchange market, you do not negotiate directly with particular people as you do in real estate. Instead, you communicate with the forex broker, who ensures that somebody will take the other side of your trade. Therefore, trading currency pairs is more hassle-free than putting money in immovable properties.

There are other differences between the two types of investing. If you are weighing the two options to earn profits, you should consider the pros and cons of each before coming to a final decision. Both businesses can generate handsome profits, and it is your responsibility to correctly evaluate your financial ability and goals to turn your investment in either of them into success.