5 habits for a good work-life balance
Achieving a good work-life balance is a lifestyle choice—but not necessarily an easy one. It can be difficult to juggle the requirements of a career as well as family life, spiritual enrichment, personal wellness, and more.
Most Americans have difficulty balancing life’s competing demands. When they give one aspect of their life their full attention, because of needs, demands, and pressures, other aspects tend to be neglected. The fact remains, though, that people with well-ordered priorities tend to do better in life.
In fact, research shows that a person’s success is closely associated with how well they balance the different dimensions of their life.
People who are able to achieve work-life balance have quite a few attributes and behaviors in common. Their habits are worth emulating so I have listed the five most important habits that can be incorporated into any lifestyle.
- Make conscious choices – People who maintain work-life balance deliberately work for it instead of just waiting for life to happen. They draw up a road map of where they want to go and exactly how they will get there.
- Communicate regularly – Well-balanced people stay on track because they know how to explain their feelings. If they are not satisfied with what is going on in life, they share their thoughts instead of keeping them bottled up. They are proactive and fix the things that can be changed. They use communication to alter their situation when needed.
- Make time for people – People with well-maintained priorities leave work or meetings when family and friends need help. They will not sacrifice their personal life for business or work.
- Set your parameters for success – Successful people know who they are, what they want, and what is important to them. They don’t let others tell them if they are a success or failure. They are satisfied with what they have and avoid measuring themselves by the standards of other people.
- Align your goals with your passions – People who have achieved work-life balance schedule time to do the things they love rather than always being too busy to enjoy their favorite pursuits.
If you feel your life tipping out of balance at times, step back and assess your situation. None of us achieves perfect balance at all times, but by adjusting a few of our habits, we can move closer to the ideal.
Damon Burton is an entrepreneur, consultant and President of SEO National and UtahSites who writes extensively about leadership and career advancement.