Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be lethal to humans and animals. It has no taste or smell so it’s easy to inhale without even knowing you are doing it! Here we will discuss 5 of the most common sources of carbon dioxide in the home:

1. What is Carbon Monoxide

Carbon dioxide is created when any fuel produces carbon during the combustion process. When fuels are burned, they create carbon monoxide to release energy for heating homes and powering tools. Other examples of sources of carbon dioxide in your home include cigarette smoke, space heaters , gas stoves  , cars, and many others.

2. Sources of CO in the Home

These are the 5 most common  sources of carbon dioxide in the home. Your car, for example, is a source that you likely use on a daily basis and may not think about it as being dangerous to your health.

• Your car- Your car is a source of carbon dioxide that you may use daily.

• Space heaters- Even if not being used, space heaters give off fumes.

• Gas Stoves- Gas stoves are often sources of CO in the home because they emit fumes when burning fuel for cooking or heating .

• Cigarette smoke- Smoking cigarettes can be deadly because the smoke given off contains carbon monoxide.

• Dryer vents- Your dryer vents can be one of the most dangerous sources of carbon dioxide in your home because they emit deadly gases when used regularly.

3. How to Prevent Exposure to CO

Exposure to carbon dioxide in the home is very dangerous and can lead to poisoning, injury, or even death. To prevent exposure you should always have your chimney inspected by a professional before using it for heating purposes during colder months.

You should also make sure that all gas appliances are working properly according to their manufacturer’s instructions. Never start a car inside your garage , and never use a gas stove or oven for heating purposes.

When you are around any of the sources listed above, be sure to have adequate ventilation . In general, if an area does not feel as though it is getting enough fresh air that means there’s some sort of issue with the ventilation or it’s not being circulated properly.

4. Signs and Symptoms of CO Poisoning

If you are exposed to carbon dioxide in the home, or think that you may have been exposed, there are some signs and symptoms of poisoning that you should watch out for.

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea/vomiting
  • Confusion/disorientation
  • Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • Seizures
  • Loss of consciousness

If you are feeling any of these symptoms after exposure, call 911 immediately. If someone else is experiencing them, try to get the individual out into fresh air and seek medical attention for them as soon as possible.

**Seek Medical Attention Immediately if Symptoms Persist or Get Worse

5. Prevention Tips for Your Home’s Potential CO Sources

Carbon dioxide is extremely dangerous to your health. Make sure you are doing what you can to prevent exposure by following these tips:

Have gas appliances serviced regularly according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and make sure that they are properly ventilated . Never use a stove or oven for heating purposes , even if it’s turned off.

Don’t allow cars to idle in enclosed areas like garages, and never start the car inside of an open garage . Never use a gas stove or oven for anything other than its intended purpose. Make sure your chimney is inspected before using it as fuel for heating during colder months , and make sure that all wood stoves and fireplaces are properly installed and vented .

If you or someone else is experiencing symptoms of carbon dioxide poisoning, seek medical attention immediately.