Brotox is on the rise: 4 reasons men are going under the needle
Botox procedures for men, also known as Brotox, are on the rise! According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), Botox injections are the #1 cosmetic procedure requested by men. In fact, men across the U.S. get more than half a million Botox injections every year and the pandemic has only increased that number thanks to the “Zoom Effect” and hybrid work schedules. Constant video calls have more men feeling dissatisfied with their appearance, thus turning to Botox injections to get a more youthful appearance.
READ ALSO: The Hourlift: Non-surgical facelift procedures can be done over lunchtime
The founders of Scottsdale-based Lumen + Bevel Aesthetics, Marissa Abdo, MS, RN, CANS and Morgan Renfro, RN, CANS have seen their male client base double since the COVID-19 pandemic started. They know, first-hand, the main reasons men are turning to Botox injections more than ever including:
1. Looking better than their competition on video calls: After spending nearly two years staring at their reflection on video conferences, men are more conscious than ever about their appearance and signs of aging. Yup, they’re noticing those fine lines and wrinkles more than ever. L+B’s older male patients also reported wanting to look their best because they feel like they’re competing against their younger co-workers.
2. The fear of someone swiping left: The rise of social media and online dating apps are also a motivating factor for men getting more Botox. They want to look their best online because first impressions are everything and if a potential match swipes left, it’s a serious shot to their ego. Botox injections allow them to put their best face forward (and hopefully snag a partner).
3. A push from their significant other: It’s no surprise that women are obsessed with aesthetic treatments because they are FDA-approved and effective. More than half of L+B’s male patients said their significant other pushed them to keep up their youthful look. Men and women develop wrinkles at different speeds. It’s becoming more important for partners to find each other physically attractive for years to come and Botox is an effective answer (happy wife, happy life).
4. Health benefits: Botox injections are most commonly known to have the ability to reduce fine lines and wrinkles in the face, but many male patients get injections to help prevent chronic migraines, calm cervical dystonia (neck spasms), prevent excessive sweating and ease depression.
If aesthetic injections are in your future and you’ve never had them before, it’s important to have a conversation with the provider and ask them the following questions:
• What is the provider’s experience? This is your face! Make sure you go to someone who specializes in injectable treatments.
• Do they accept Alle and ASPIRE program rewards? These programs help to ensure that the clinic you are going to is buying real products.
• What should you expect? How long does the treatment last? How much does it cost?
• What is the difference between neurotoxin and dermal fillers? And what is the reasoning behind recommending one over the other?
• If you’re doing dermal filler, your provider should always have Hylenex on hand in case of an emergency.
• What are the expectations of the treatment? Will you have pain? What is the aftercare process? And when can you expect to see optimal results?
Authors: As former team members of Dr. 90210 in Beverly Hills and go-to injectors for celebrities and the Hollywood elite, Marissa Abdo, MS, RN, CANS and Morgan Renfro, RN, CANS have combined their expertise to create Lumen + Bevel Aesthetics in Scottsdale. At this one-of-a-kind aesthetic practice, the duo focuses on the anatomy of their client’s facial structures to enhance their overall beauty. Marissa and Morgan are all about empowering women, not only through their services but through training too. As top national trainers for Galderma and Allergen, Marissa and Morgan have trained providers at more than 100 locations in the Scottsdale area – sometimes even their own competition. Marissa and Morgan believe every injector should have a seat at the table and they are consistently doing their part to create an empowered community of practitioners to provide safe injections to all clients. They are leading the charge and setting the bar for the injection industry to provide exemplary service and results.