Another scorching Arizona summer is right around the corner and the key for your skin’s survival is antioxidants. It seems like every new beauty launch has some sort of amazing anti-aging ingredient complex. But the truth is, hardly any of those products actually live up to their age-delaying claim. So, what should you be looking for? The following list includes the most powerful anti-aging ingredients available.
READ MORE: Top 50 fittest cities in Arizona
1. Hyaluronic Acid: We naturally have hyaluronic acid in our bodies that helps support our collagen and elastin and also supports our moisture barrier. The moisture barrier is very important to keep our skin hydrated and healthy. Hyaluronic acid attracts water, giving your face volume it needs. SkinMedica HA5 is an amazing product when it comes to replenishing your skin. Please note that over time we lose our hyaluronic acid and a great option for replacement is dermal filler.
2. Vitamin E: Known for its super-hydrating properties, vitamin E is also praised for its antioxidant characteristics. It’s a fat-soluble antioxidant that scavenges those free radicals we get from chronic UV exposure and pollution. It can also help reduce inflammation from free radical exposure to our cells. Pair vitamin E with vitamin C to make it even more potent. Avoid using vitamin E if you have oily or acne prone skin.
3. Vitamin C: One of the most well-studied and proven antioxidants on the market. It’s also one of the few skincare ingredients that has repeatedly proven to help in the battle against skin aging. Vitamin C gives the skin a glow and is also a natural sun protectant, so be sure to apply first thing in the morning. Ascorbic acid breaks down very easily with regular exposure to air and light so for the best results you need to use a formula where the ascorbic acid has been established. Because of this many budget formulas are unreliable. Try Skinceuticals Vitamin C Serum for something that’s extremely effective.
4. Resveratrol: A polyphenol which can be found in the skin of grapes, peanuts and some berries, resveratrol might not be a well-known ingredient, but it’s becoming more popular. This ingredient has many benefits that other ingredients with antioxidant properties lack. Specifically, it helps protect the barrier function, reducing inflammation, sun damage and premature aging.
5. Retinol (most important): Yes, retinol is an antioxidant! It increases cellular renewal within the skin, stimulates collagen production, balances oil production and fights free radicals. As we age, our skin cells get lazy and don’t turnover as fast, leading to fine lines, dull skin and pigmentation. Retinol helps the cells turn over faster, so our skin looks brighter and helps minimize the signs of aging. It can make your skin feel a little dry or irritated when you first use it but push through and your skin will thank you. We like ALASTIN Skincare Retinol Renewal. Make sure you apply at night and wear sunscreen during the day since you will have newer skin cells exposed.
6. Niacinamide: Used commonly in hydrating skincare products, niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3 that helps brighten the skin, reduce the appearance of blemishes and congestion and helps to maintain barrier function. A huge bonus is that niacinamide can help reduce redness or irritation from other products like retinols.
The above ingredients are great to incorporate into your daily routine, but don’t go overboard. Try one or two and find what works best for your skin. If you don’t see a vast improvement in wrinkles caused by sun and extrinsic factors, Botox is a great option that shows positive results in a short amount of time. Dermal filler is also extremely effective when it comes to restoring volume loss over time caused by the free radical producing sun damage and air pollution.
As go-to injectors for celebrities and the Hollywood elite, Marissa Abdo, MS, RN, CANS and Morgan Renfro, RN, CANS are taking their professionalism to the next level. Former team members of Dr. 90210 in Beverly Hills, the duo have combined their expertise to create a one-of-a-kind aesthetic practice Lumen + Bevel Aesthetics. They are top trainers in the world of aesthetic injectables, a multibillion-dollar industry. Together, they offer clients a collaborative experience using non-surgical facial sculpting and contouring techniques to enhance and preserve each individual’s natural beauty. Their specialized experience of exclusively performing non-surgical injectable treatments has resulted in the performance of nearly 2,000 procedures a year each. This statistic speaks volumes when compared with the average annual injectable treatments performed by many medspas and plastic surgeons at around 500 annually.