Sun Health launches personalized memory care program
Sun Health has launched a Memory Care Navigator program, the newest offering in the nonprofit organization’s rapidly growing collection of community health programs.
Peoria’s Marty Finley, M.Ed. has been selected as the Sun Health Memory Care Navigator, who will provide personal and professional guidance to patients, family members and caregivers coping with the emotional, psychological and physical effects of dementia. The Navigator will prepare a plan of care individualized to their needs, and will serve as a liaison between patients and families, their physicians and ancillary community services.
Specifically, the Navigator is available to:
• Assess the needs of the patient and family and provide confidential consultation;
• Link patients and family members to education, support groups and assistive services in the West Valley;
• Be an ongoing resource for families and caregivers as new challenges arise through different stages of dementia;
• Educate patients and family members about available local clinical trials that they may discuss with their physicians; and
• Collaborate with and communicate recommendations to each patient’s physician.
“We want to provide a comprehensive resource that minimizes the stress of caring for a loved one with dementia,” Finley said. “A number of wonderful resources exist in the West Valley that can benefit dementia patients as well as their caregivers and families. We want to help people to be aware of these resources and take advantage of them”.
While local physicians can refer patients to the program, family members and other caregivers can also contact Finley directly. She can be reached at 623.832.9300. More information about the Memory Care Navigator program can be found at www.SunHealth.org/memorycare.
The program is offered at no charge to patients and their families, thanks to funds raised in the community through the Sun Health Foundation. Other nonprofit community health programs supported through the Foundation include Sun Health Care Transitions, Vial of Life and File of Life.
In addition, Sun Health will expand the free programming available through its Community Education series to include several seminars each month on topics related to brain health, dementia, and caregiver challenges. The monthly Sun Health Community Education lineup can be found by visiting www.SunHealth.org and clicking Community Education.