Dubbed the “Diamond in the Desert” year-long celebration, Arizona’s iconic luxury leader Scottsdale Fashion Square marks six decades of bringing the latest trends in fashion and lifestyle to the state this fall. For 60 days (starting Oct. 15) through Dec. 15, shoppers can use their purchase power to benefit local charities through the “Shop It Forward” program.
Additionally, throughout the year Scottsdale Fashion Square will be hosting a series of center-wide events and activities that all zero in on the fashion, art, fitness and community giving that have been synonymous with the Scottsdale-based shopping destination since its inception in 1961.
READ ALSO: Ranking Arizona: Top 10 shopping centers
Legacy of Giving Back
First and foremost, to celebrate the many nonprofit partners whose tireless efforts Scottsdale Fashion Square has supported through the decades, the center is calling upon shoppers to pay it forward through its “Shop it Forward” program now (starting Oct. 15) through Dec. 15. Shoppers are encouraged to log their receipts from any Scottsdale Fashion Square retailer and restaurant center-wide, over the 60-day period to earn points for the participating nonprofit partners. Six community partners will be vying for shopper-generated points that will result in donations ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 per nonprofit, up to $25,000 total. The six participating partners include:
• Arizona Cancer Foundation for Children: Their number one focus is to help kids with cancer. Their mission is to provide social, emotional and financial support directly to families managing the health and well being of a loved one with pediatric cancer.
• Arizona Theatre Company: Their mission is to create world-class theatre about what it means to be alive today – Inspire curiosity and creativity, spark empathy and joy – bring all Arizonans together. Their vision is to transform the lives through the power of theatre.
• ASU Foundation: The Fashion Program of Herberger Institute for The Design and Arts; The Bachelor of Arts in fashion at ASU is a transdisciplinary program that provides students with a foundation that enables them to work across many segments in the fashion industry. This program combines history, business practices and hands-on studio experience to prepare students for a variety of roles in this global industry.
• Big Brothers & Big Sisters of Central Arizona: A youth mentoring program; Big Brothers Big Sisters’ mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth. Their vision is for all youth to achieve their full potential.
• Board of Visitors Care Card: The Board of Visitors serves the community independently to raise and grant funds to deserving nonprofit agencies that mirror the mission of The Board of Visitors: to serve the healthcare needs of women, children and the elderly. This year’s recipient of Care Card is the Foundation for Blind Children.
• Fresh Start Women’s Foundation: Fresh Start’s mission is to provide education, resources and support for women to positively transform their lives and strengthen our community. The nonprofit organization helps women 18 and up focus on key areas of their lives, with a wide range of services, classes and workshops designed to teach self-confidence, life skills and career development.
Decades of Memories
While every anniversary is a chance to celebrate important milestones, since 1961, Scottsdale Fashion Square has been the epicenter of some of the most personal and unforgettable memories from a baby’s first visit with Santa and that high school food court dinner and movie date to prom dress shopping, buying an engagement ring and even outfitting a first home.
To preserve these memories, Scottsdale Fashion Square is inviting shoppers to submit their favorite memories, which will be showcased on the center’s digital Story.Style.Spirit. Memory Board. Photos will be shared via digital boards at the center and on the center’s social media handles. Starting now, shoppers can share their photos by uploading them via their social media channels and tagging Scottsdale Fashion Square (@scottsdalefashionsquare) and are also encouraged to use the hashtag #StoryStyleSpirit to be entered for a chance to win special prizes monthly: a pair of Golden Goose shoes; an Apple Watch from Apple; an experiential package, including dinner for two at Nobu, tickets to Wonderspaces; cooking classes at Sur La Table; a Versace clutch; a $500 gift card to Nordstrom with Lush Life gift set; and even a PHAT Scooter Sport Electric Scooter. Follow @ScottsdaleFashionSquare on Instagram for more information, and to learn more about the overall history and timeline for Scottsdale Fashion Square, please visit fashionsquare.com/History
Lastly, as part of the ongoing festivities, artist Diane Rogers pays homage to the six decades that have influenced fashion, style, trends and daily life through her thought-provoking free art installation, Decades of Influence. Specially curated in celebration of the anniversary, the installation, which is on display in the luxury wing, will transport shoppers across the 60s, 70s and 80s through to 2021 all while they listen to the top-40 chart-toppers from each decade.