Big city life became less desirable as 2020 unfolded. Renters and homeowners alike considered moving out more than ever and the surrounding towns became a focal point of multifamily development in the U.S.
Chandler is third in the national top 20
• Chandler is the 3rd suburb in the U.S. by number of new apartments built in the past 5 years — 4,805 new units have been introduced since 2016.
• The city added 19 new multifamily buildings, most of them garden-type.
• The past five years’ development accounts for 21% of Chandler’s total apartment supply.
• The other top developing suburbs in Arizona are all in the Phoenix metro but didn’t make the national top 20. The most notable mentions are Gilbert – 2,003 units, Goodyear – 1,307, Peoria – 1,251 and Glendale – 998.
• The top 20 was dominated by 8 Texas suburbs, but Chandler managed to compete neck-and-neck with Dallas suburb McKinney (#2), which built 4,843 new units. Meanwhile, the top builder in the country was North Dallas suburb Frisco, having built 8,044 new apartments.
The full study can be accessed here: https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental-market/market-snapshots/top-20-suburbs-with-most-new-apartments/